Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Rock and the Hole

Isaiah 51:1 KJV
Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged.

Since my theme for personal study and preaching in 2008 has been "diligently seeking Him" phrases like "ye that seek the Lord" tend to catch my attention. He says to those of us who seek the Lord, "look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged." The rock and the pit are both interpreted in verse two as being Abraham.

There is a picture of Christ in here
"Look unto the rock."
Christ is the solid rock upon which our faith stands. God promised that through Abraham's seed would all the nations of the world be blessed. And what a blessing Christ is.

We who are believers are Abraham's seed by faith. So when I look to the rock; I am looking unto Christ.

There is a word of humility here
And the hole of the pit whence ye are digged
John Gill likens that to Sarah, who was barren until God gave her strength to conceive in her old age. I am reminded that my salvation is none of my own. Christ alone saved me. I was barren and unfruitful. I was nothing. I had no merit that could have caused Christ to desire to save me. But
He, in grace, called to me and
He in grace gave me ears to hear and
He, in grace, gave me faith to believe

No comments:

Post a Comment