Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Peter's Denial

Matthew 26:72 KJV
And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.

Nothing new to us about Peter's denial of the Lord. However I was simply struck this morning by the whole of it.

Peter denied the Lord
Despite the fact that Jesus had warned him it would happen

Peter denied the Lord
And each of the three times is a greater denial than the time previous

Peter denied the Lord
And that despite the fact that Jesus had said
Matthew 10:33 KJV
But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

But what is even more striking than all of this is that, despite his denials, the resurrected Lord, visited with Peter, encouraged Peter and empowered and used Peter.

We may be guilty of sins that we believe would certainly disqualify us from ever being blessed of God again. Peter's story encourages us to get up and keep following our Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment