Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It Is His Sword


Psalms 17:13-14 KJV
Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword:
From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes.

Some have suggested that the rendering here doesn't work, that to imply that the enemy is God's sword doesn't jive with the context. There are, however, other pieces of Scripture that support the doctrine that the oppression of our enemies is in fact a work of God[1], not against us but a means of chastening and correcting us.

So I will not question the text. What I am interested in is that David prays to be delivered from these enemies even knowing they are from God.

Who better to withdraw the enemy than the one who sent them?
What confidence David must have had in asking the Lord to remove his own sword. There is no need to ask the Lord to be a middle man, no heart that has to be softened before God can have His way. David dealt directly with the source.

What a blessing to realize that our enemies are in fact the sword of God.
  • There is mercy in that sword
  • There is precision in that sword
  • There is meaning in that sword

  •  I am glad to know that my Father has all things in His hand
  • I am glad to consider that He will use His sword on my behalf
  • I am glad to think that I am able to ask Him to withdraw His sword in mercy



[1] Isaiah 10:5-7 KJV
O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation.
I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations not a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment