Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On Our Side


Psalms 118:6 KJV
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

I have heard that someone once asked President Lincoln if he thought God was on his side. Lincoln reportedly said that his concern was not whether God was on his side but if he was on God's side. I do not know if the episode is true or not but it sounds like good advice; be sure we are on God's side rather than try to get God on our side.

Yet here is King David boldly stating (under inspiration of the Holy Spirit) that the Lord is on his side. Gill expands upon that and says[1]
The Lord was on David's side
Through all that he faced as a kingdom.

The Lord is on Christ's side
As our Saviour and our Brother.

The Lord is in the side of all the redeemed
  • To keep us until that day we enter heaven
  • To stay us through the trials of Christian life
  • To use us as vessels for his purpose
I want to always seek to be on God's side. But I am also glad He is on mine.



[1] I have taken liberties with Gill's commentary and created my own based upon his.

No comments:

Post a Comment