Zechariah 1:4 KJV
Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD.
If you want to breach a man's pride tell him his dad was wrong. There is something in us that, though we would have disagreed with our fathers in our youth, we turn out just like them in our maturity.
God is here addressing
refusal to hear the prophets of their past. This refusal had resulted in the
Babylonian captivity. Now the people have returned to the Promised Land and a
new prophet urges them not to be as their fathers were.
There can be a number of ways we err in being like our fathers:
- Some people err in that their family was a particular denomination and, though that denomination has changed over the decades, they refuse to change from it
- Some people err in that their family was a part of a false religion and, though that religion is not Scriptural, they will not leave it
- Some people err in that their family is known for certain besetting sins and though they have been personally hurt by them, they lead a lifestyle that includes those besetting sins
Family is an important piece of humanity. There is no doubt that children usually love their fathers and mothers no matter how poor a job they did raising them. I am glad my kids love me and haven't judged me too harshly for my mistakes as a parent. But
- When it comes to the spiritual
- When heaven and hell are at stake
- When our own children may be saved or lost eternally because of our choices
it's time to listen to our Heavenly Father and not be like our earthly ones.