2 Timothy 2:4 KJV
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
I suppose every man who chooses the life of a soldier does so under some sort of compulsion
- It may be his fathers were soldiers
- It may be the times call for soldiers
- It may be financial necessity urges a man to be a soldier
- It may be a national draft has forced him to be a soldier
- It may be the promise of an education has drawn him into the place of a soldier
- It may be the romance of the soldier’s life has lured him to be a soldier
In every case, something has "called" him into the position. It might be even called a choosing. Whether a person wants to say he was chosen or has made his own choice, circumstances motivated his enlistment. He was chosen by those circumstances.
Whether a Christian wants to believe that he was chosen to be a Christian or chose to be a Christian, at the end of the day every one of us, who name the name of the Lord, must accept that God led the circumstances of our lives to bring us to repentance and faith. We are soldiers of the Cross because God made us to be soldiers.
And as soldiers, chosen of God, our responsibility is to the one who has chosen us.
To Him be all glory and power and honor.