Saturday, April 06, 2013

No Mistakes


1 Timothy 5:4 KJV
But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.

I am a convinced King James believer. I cannot conceive that God would first give us his perfect word only to allow it to be corrupted over time. The God who is all powerful is amply capable of preserving His Word and I am not willing to find any fault with His Word.  Those things in the King James that I do not understand I chalk up to my shortcomings and not to any shortcomings in God or His Word.

Now here is where it becomes interesting; the scholars say that in old English the word “nephew” meant grandchildren and not the children of a brother or sister. Illustrations are cited and I do not question them. So why would God have preserved a Word that has undergone such radical transformation? My suggestions:
1. To teach us to study
There is nothing wrong with knowing some word history. It is a compliment to the Bible that it elevates our thought
2. To teach us the importance of family
So what if we make the mistake of counting modern nephews as being near enough they would pick up some of the responsibility of caring for an elderly loved on? For the extended family to be close, to maintain relationships that go beyond immediate family, these are far from negative things.

The King James Bible is perfect. We do not have to ignore these things but view them as positive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment