Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Prophet's Place


Habakkuk 2:1 KJV
I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.

I have for some time thought of the prophets as a type of the pastor where the Bible says that the priest is a type of the believer. Given this type, I see Habakkuk in the stead of a pastor here. He has brought his case to the Lord and is here waiting to hear what the Lord will say. It reminds me of the pastor who, after ministry among the congregation prepares himself to speak for the Lord

He is in an important place
The watchmen held the lives of the city in his hands. If he failed in his duty; if he was late in spotting or of warning the people of a coming danger, all could be lost.

His is in a strait place
The tower was elevated but also confining. People think of the pastor as having a huge place in the work of the Lord but it is also a restricted place. Only a few can be there. Once there, the standards are high. Responsibilities are high too.

His is an awful place
He is reproved of the Lord long before he brings any reproof to the people. Judgment begins at the house of the Lord and at the pastor's doorstep first.
  • He does speak to the people the Words of God
  • He is privileged to occupy his time with the Lord
  • He is placed in such a spot where many can see and hear him
But his is not the place for everyone. Few would want his place if they had it for very long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment