Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Brother, Faithful and Fellowservant

Colossians 4:7 KJV
All my state shall Tychicus declare unto you, who is a beloved brother, and a faithful minister and fellowservant in the Lord:

Paul was in the habit of mentioning people by name; for good and for the not so good. A person who does that cannot highlight everyone every time or he makes no mention memorable. Paul had some incredible men working with him
  • Timothy
  • Epaphroditus
  • Silas
But here Paul singles out Tychicus with outstanding qualities. He lists three characteristics of this man that are worthy of meditation
A beloved brother
Not just a brother but beloved. I can imagine that Paul thought of every brother and sister in the Lord as beloved but in this case he says so. I think about those I have known over the years
  • Some as fellow church members before I became a pastor
  • Some as those I have pastored 
  • Some who are fellow pastors or members of other churches I have come to know well
I think I would say, with only a few exceptions that they are beloved brothers and sisters. But I can think of only a handful that I would want to single out to call beloved brothers. 

A faithful minister
Not every minister of the Lord is faithful. Some start out but somewhere along the line change the course they promised to take. 

A fellowservant in the Lord
This appears to have more substance than just both were servants of the Lord. It implies that they are servants locked arm in arm. Some serve the Lord but they serve Him independently. Others serve the Lord together with us. These are a special bunch of servants. 


A man might know many who fall into one or two of these groups. To know one who fits in all three is a joy indeed. 

For another look at this passage click here:


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this! I have been recording Dr. Earl White's meditations every day. What a blessing Paul was when talking about the men that helped him. I hope that at the end of my life I will be remembered as a friend and fellowhelper and not a quitter like Demas! Thank you! TheMorningMeditation.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for His Word. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete