1 John 2:4 KJV
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
The word liar is an offensive one. It is no joke to call a man a liar. And no wonder;
- The devil is a liar and the father of them
- No liar has a part of eternal life
Yet the Bible (especially the Johannine epistles) uses the word often, if not liberally.
Here then is an offensive verse. People would be quick to say that another has no right to judge whether they know the Lord or not.
- They will insist that we could never know their heart
- They would insist that if they say they know the Lord that is between them and the Lord
- They would tell us it is a sin for us to judge them for not obeying the commandments of the Lord
But John said that if a man says he knows the Lord but doesn't keep His commandments, that man is a liar.
- Associated with the devil, the father of lies.
- Implying that he has no part in eternal life
But truth according to the Holy Word of God.