Genesis 12:5 KJV
And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
When Abram and Sarai arrived in the land of Canaan, they did not arrive alone. The Bible says they came, "with the souls that they had gotten in Haran." Since we know that Abram and Sarai had no children, who these souls are is left to some speculation:
· Are they the children of Lot and his wife?
· Are they servants he had hired for his flocks?
· Are they proselytes to the faith that Abram must surely have already been preaching?
These answers we will not have until we reach heaven. But there is still an application for us. Does not this remind us that, wherever we go, we ought to be about the business of gathering souls to take with us:
· As we worship the Lord in His house?
· As we follow the Lord in obediently walking with Him? and ultimately
· As we enter into eternal happiness in the presence of the Lord in heaven?