Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Want Fruit

Matthew 13:23 KJV
But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
I want fruit

Jesus said that as the Word of God is spread around the world,
There would be some seed that was snatched away before it could spring to life
There would be some seed that had life but that life would be snuffed out by the heat of persecution
There would be some seed that would grow to life, but would have no fruit because of the cares of this world

Then Jesus said some of the seed would not only spring to life but bear fruit.

I want to bear fruit for the Lord.

And if I understand this parable right, if I am to bear fruit there are some things I can do to prepare myself to better bear that fruit

I must understand the WordWhen I hear God's word, I must hear with purpose. I must hear to understand. I can't be content merely to attend a church service. I can't be happy with just reading the Bible. I must apply myself to hear and understand.
The devil will still attempt to snatch away the seed of God's Word in my life and I expect that he gets more of that seed than I care to believe. But if I apply myself, some of the seed will take root

I must expect tribulation and persecutionThose come along with the territory of applying God's Word. This world, the flesh, and the devil are opposed to everything godly and will attack godliness on every opportunity. There are those who will congratulate us that we "got religion." But when we begin to live the Word of God those same people who once congratulated us may take offense. We must not get offended at the persecution if we would bear fruit.

I must not entangle myself in the affairs of this life
I have to live. But I don't have to be entangled in life. If I can learn to trust the Lord for my life; if I can learn to leave my care in His hands and just trust Him, then I can live without getting entangled in living. This seed continues to live, but it is unfruitful. It may not even be visible for the weeds that wrap themselves around it. That is certainly not the life I want to live for the Lord

I must be content with the fruit God makes me to have
Even after preparation of the soil for fruit, still, not all seeds will produce the same fruit. I have to let the Lord have His way or I might not be fruitful just because I let envy spoil my fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment