Friday, June 27, 2008

My Meditation

Psalms 104:34 KJV
My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.

John Gill says of these meditations
Of the glories, excellencies, and perfections of his person;
Of his offices, as Mediator, King, Priest, and Prophet, the Saviour and Redeemer
Of his works of creation, providence, and redemption
Of his word, the blessed truths and comfortable doctrines of it
Of his providential dispensations, and gracious dealings with his people in the present state


How weak and anemic our meditations of Him often are. We spend so little time in meditation in the first place. We are too busy rushing about
To see the next person
To plan the next event
To hear the next entertainment
To make the next dollar
We save very little time in our lives for slow, thoughtful meditation upon spiritual things. It is one of the reasons fewer people seem to seek after God. Busy-ness crowds out deeper thought that inevitably leads to thoughts of eternity.

And when we do meditate upon the Lord too often those thoughts are on the most shallow of subjects;
How has he cared for me today?
What has He done for the world today?
Who has He brought to help me today?


No wonder our meditations are not as sweet as we would wish and no wonder we cannot be "glad" just "in the Lord."

I want to make my faith deeper than that. I want to come to that place in my life where God’s glory is all that I really need to delight in. Where I can “be glad in the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment