Friday, June 06, 2008

Point to Christ

Proverbs 6:20-23 KJV
My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.
When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.
For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:


I am attempting to apply the New Testament principle that the law was given to lead us to Jesus Christ to this passage of the Bible.....

Verse 21
It is Christ I want to attach myself to, rather than the laws of the OT. It is Christ I must seek. It is Christ I want to walk with and abide with.

Verse 22
Then; Jesus shall lead me, Jesus shall keep me and Jesus shall talk with me.

Verse 23
Christ is a better lamp than the Old Testament law; Christ is a better light than the Old Testament light and Christ is a better way than the Old Testament way.

It is very common and much easier to claim to understand that the Old Testament's work is to lead us to Christ but then still insist that righteousness comes through obedience to the Old Testament laws. It seems to me instead that Christ is all and in all. Ours is not to ask Jesus to save us and then clean up our lives by obeying the Old Testament. Ours is to depend upon Jesus Christ completely.

All of the law of the Old Testament are fulfilled in the Lord Jesus Christ who then said
Mark 12:30-31
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
(KJV)

If we will bind ourselves to Christ alone so that He leads us, keeps us and talks to us, and if we will obey thes two simply commandments; Christ will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment