Thursday, July 17, 2008

An Excellent Oil

Psalms 141:5-6 KJV
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities.
When their judges are overthrown in stony places, they shall hear my words; for they are sweet.

This passage reminds me of
Proverbs 27:6 (KJV)
Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

The Psalmist says those rebukes and reproofs of the righteous are “an excellent oil.”
· They minister healing and balm to the soul.
· They bring refreshment to the faith. and
· They do no harm to the relationship between the one smitten that the righteous man who has smitten him.

What a shame it is when we come to the place in our lives where there is no man who has such authority as to smite us in love. What damage we do to ourselves when we stiffen our necks at the faithful wounds of a friend.

May our Saviour make us tender and sensitive towards such rebukes that we may grow thereby.

No comments:

Post a Comment