Saturday, September 20, 2008

We Are One Body

1 Corinthians 12:12-14 KJV
For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
For the body is not one member, but many.


I am one body.
But my body has many members.
And the miracle is that my members cooperate together so well that I very seldom think of any one member as a single unit but as it is in the whole.
My finger is my body
My foot is my body
My eye is my body

The whole is the emphasis, not any one member.

And I notice that those members who do the most work do not complain about those other members who do a less visible or physical work.

My feet hurt from the work they do - but they do not quit because my body never rests on my ear. They just do their job through the pain.

And the Bible says that the church - more specifically Christ (I am not going to meditate upon that; perhaps some other time)- is one body with many members also. What a miracle it is when the many members of a church function together, each being an individual and never losing that value, but each giving away the value of individuality for the emphasis of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment