Friday, October 02, 2009

Speaking To My Own Soul

Psalms 42:5 KJV
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
This has been one of my favorite verses almost since I entered into the pastorate. God has used it to bring encouragement to me in one of the most desperate times in my life, and remembering back to that day has brought joy to my heart many times.

A year ago or so I heard a sermon preached from this passage that I found to be most helpful. The pastor used this verse, and the Psalm in its entirety to deal with the subject of depression. He suggested that this verse tells us the way out of depression is to speak the right things to our soul.

Believers can claim this verse as our own as we are in Christ.

In Christ there is struggle.
This world hated Christ. Is it any wonder it hates those that are in Christ? Even our Saviour cried out, "My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Not that Christ did not know why or that God had in fact forsaken Him, but in identification with the pain believers often feel.

I do notice though that the question is not meant to give us permission to complain, but is meant to point that we have no real reason to complain.

In Christ we have hope.
If there is nothing else for us, there is always hope in God.
His goodness
His power
His directing of the heavens and the earth

All offer hope to the believer.

In Christ we have a promise
History is replete with the stories of Christians who, having given all for Christ, finally saw their lives ended in horrible and painful ways. What good was heir faith in Christ to them? Much every way; they realized that, should this world work its worst upon their bodies, their ultimate reward would be to praise the Lord in His physical presence.

Regardless of the trials we might face upon the earth. Those who follow Christ have this absolute and unfailing promise, "I shall yet praise Him..."

No comments:

Post a Comment