Sunday, October 18, 2009

This Generation

Psalms 71:17-18 KJV
O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.


I have read that in the earliest centuries of Christianity a man was not considered mature enough to be much of a preacher until he had already finished a career; John Chrysostom (sometimes called John the golden tongued), for instance, did not start pastoring until he was in his 70's. In our current day it seems like churches are looking, not for maturity and a pastor with enough experience and study to be of sound doctrine, but a pastor with youth, physical vigor, and "vision." One church I know told me that they did not want a pastor who was over 50 years old. Another pastor, who was "older than that" had a difficult time finding a church interested in a man of his age.

Sounds like the Psalmist knew something of this same difficulty. Though the reasons for his lack of effectiveness was different, I can understand his heart's prayer. I do not want to lose my ability to be used of the Lord because the gray hairs have begun to outnumber the darker ones. I have a desire to be used to show the younger generation the strength, the power, and the truth of God and His Word.

O God, forsake me not. Use me to preach in the power of the Holy Spirit to the generation coming behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment