Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Valuable Help

1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Jamison Fausset and Brown have a piece of valuable help, not only for this passage but for a number of places in the New Testament. They suggest that this passage is (obviously) not a direct translation of Isaiah 64:4 but an inspired exposition of the passage.

That makes perfect sense. As one who preaches the Word of God I know I do that sort of thing regularly. I teach the passage. I do not merely read the passage but I give the sense of it. The commentary says, "the exceptive words, 'O God beside thee' are not quoted directly but are virtually expressed in the exposition of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment