Saturday, August 27, 2011

What I Can Do


Ezekiel 18:31 KJV
Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

I know and am sure that it is impossible for a man to make for himself a new heart and a new spirit. To attempt to do so would only amount to surface reformation and not true regeneration. Still the Word of God, especially in the Old Testament, places much of the responsibility of regeneration upon the man.

While I cannot create a new heart and a new spirit, there are things I can do and from them, God does the rest. Ezekiel lists three very similar responses to his preaching, all designed to bring about the new heart and new spirit:

  • Repent
  • Turn
  • Cast away from

When all is said and done we will see that we in fact had nothing to do with our salvation and that it was a work God did from start to finish. But today, and from the perspective of this darkened glass of earthly flesh, I see a response to the Word of God that I am responsible for. When I meet my responsibility, God takes up all the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment