Friday, October 28, 2011

It Is My People

Zechariah 13:7-9 KJV
Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.
And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.
And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.


The text has to do with Jesus Christ's coming and crucifixion. The Bible says that afterwards God will divide the people world into three parts; two thirds will be cut off and die, the remaining third will go through the fire. Of that remaining number God says "It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God."

That division into thirds is not necessarily equal divisions and it is reminiscent of the New Testament "Jews, Gentiles and the church of God."

  • God's people claim Him as well as His claiming them and
  • God's people pass through fire today, suffering for their faith and seeing their faith refined and developed through testing but
  • God's people remain. 

Though the minority, though tried, they remain while the others are cut off and die.

Testing and fire is difficult, but it produces good things in our lives and is much to be preferred over the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment