Thursday, December 01, 2011

A Lamb a House

Exodus 12:3 KJV
Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:

Over the years I have wondered about the various passages where a lamb or a kid is eaten by a family. I know enough about slaughter and butchering animals to know that preparing an animal from the field can be done quickly. (My wife and I have cut and wrapped a deer on our own kitchen table.)

Until this year.

July of this year the nanny goat I purchased to give milk had kids. My intention has been that the males be butchered so we could get value from the goats in that way as well as milk. Reading up on the process of butchering these goats, I learned that it is common to butcher them as early as newborn and to prepare and cook them similar to a rabbit. It is recommended that that goat be butchered before one year. My plan is to butcher at seven months. The point is this; the animal a family picked might be younger or older depending upon need; the younger the animal the smaller portion of meat, thus, for a smaller family. Also the younger the animal the more quickly it could be prepared. For me personally the problem with butchering the kids is that the younger the age the more difficult it is emotionally to kill it. One of my sons has helped skin and clean several deer taken this hunting season. He said he thought he could do it right now because he is in the "hunting mode." But otherwise not many have wanted to take part in shooting, bleeding and then butchering these animals.

And all of that brings me to Christ who was crucified at the very young age of thirty three. He was tender and innocent and completely undeserving of his death. Pilate certainly did not want to do it. The mobs had to be worked into a frenzy in order for them to demand His death.

What grace is ours that Christ, who knew no sin, should be made sin for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment