Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Benefit of Life


Philippians 2:27 KJV
For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

In chapter one[1] Paul affirmed the struggle he had between life and death. That fact was he personally desired to be with Christ (though he was careful to say that he knew his life could be more needful for those on earth). Now here he speaks of another, Epaphroditus, who faced death and Paul exclaims that God's mercy in saving his life was not only toward him (he would likely have preferred to depart and be with Christ) but to the Apostle who would have suffered the loss.

Not only did Paul believe his life was a benefit to others but that the life of others was a benefit to him.

I also notice that Paul was not selfish with those he obviously needed, for, though the death of Epaphroditus would have been a great loss to Paul, to send him away that he might be a blessing to the church at Philippi was a joy to him. That I am thankful for another's life does not mean that I must smother that life in my own need.



[1] Philippians 1:23 KJV, For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:


No comments:

Post a Comment