Wednesday, April 30, 2014

We Will See God's Promises Kept

Psalms 37:34 KJV
Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

There is, I think, at least two reasonable applications to this promise; the first a temporal, earthly one and the second an eternal other worldly one.

I have been a Christian now for thirty seven years. My wife and I have lived the entirety of our married life in pursuit of God and obedience to His Word. I cannot say that we have always measured up to even the standards we set for ourselves, but I can say that we have kept at it. There have been no lapses, no slipping back for a while into the lives we lived before being saved. I can say that I now easily see the difference between the lives of those who have been faithful in keeping His way and those who have either rejected His way or else only dabbled in His way.[1] What is obvious is that those who keep God's way over the long haul always do better
  • Emotionally
  • Spiritually and
  • Relationally
long term. I know this to be true because I have personally witnessed it.

There is a second application I think can be made for this promise; that being that the Christian, whose life is eternal, will one day be a witness to the judgment of those who have rejected Jesus Christ:
·         The saints in heaven will be aware of the Tribulation of this earth
·         The believers who enter the Millennial Kingdom will be witnesses to the destruction of the unbelieving survivors of the Tribulation
·         The righteous will watch when, at the Great White Throne Judgment, the lost will be cast eternally into the Lake of Fire
I do not see that any type of pleasure is implied in seeing these things, but only that we will know it to have been done. God keeps His promises. All of them.




[1] Far too many supposed Christians play at faith. They profess to be believers, but they do no live like believers, they attend church, but they embrace no spiritual standards, they call themselves Christians but they are fully yoked with the sights, sounds entertainments and priorities of this world, they will practice faith for a bit, but then they will return to life like it was before their profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment