Friday, July 22, 2016

Matthew 26:21-22 (KJV) Is It I?

Matthew 26:21-22 (KJV)
And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?
Jesus has delivered startling news. Up to this point the disciples had practically ignored Jesus’ messages about His death, burial and resurrection. It had been heard and it would be twisted and used against Him by His accusers but it had not registered with the disciples.
Until here.
Here Jesus added a piece of information that sent them into high alert. Jesus would be:
  • captured, 
  • tried and 
  • killed 
not to long from now and one of them will be betray Jesus for the event.
What? One of them? How could it be? They had forsaken all to follow Him. They had
  • seen His miracles 
  • heard His messages and 
  • trusted His Word. 
One of them would betray Jesus?
But then it got personal. They could not fathom that any one of them could betray the Lord. What if it wasn’t one of them?
Lord, is it I?
Could I be the one to do such an awful thing? Could I be so deceived about myself that I could go so far as betray Jesus to death?
One by one they asked, searching deeply into their souls. Every one of them (except perhaps John) fled from Christ. One of them denied Christ. Judas did, in fact, betray Christ.
I see two thoughts worthy of mention:
They did not begin judging one another.Though it seems like the most natural thing to do it is not what they did. These men kept their focus where it ought to have been, with themselves. God’s message is meant for self-examination and not the manipulation of others. God will indeed convict and move and work in the souls of other men. God will use us to help them. Never jump to bring a message home to another until it’s got home to you.
It would do us all very well to reflect on our own tendency for sin.None of us is without fault.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Matthew 26:21-22 (KJV) Is It I?

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment