Sunday, May 27, 2018

Nehemiah 3:1 (KJV) Preaching Like That

Nehemiah 3:1 (KJV)
Then Eliashib the high priest rose up with his brethren the priests, and they builded the sheep gate; they sanctified it, and set up the doors of it; even unto the tower of Meah they sanctified it, unto the tower of Hananeel.
I remember some thirty years ago hearing a pastor skillfully preach on the repairing these gates. I don’t recall if he used every gate, though I think he did. What I do recall is that he assigned to each gate he preached on a spiritual significance, he demonstrated that significance in the Word of God and then he applied that significance to the congregation.
I am not sure some today would call that Bible preaching. What some identify as expository preaching is nothing more than reading a verse and rephrasing it in their own words. Some would think to compare Scripture with another Scripture is to depart from Scripture.
Ezra, the Bible says, read Scripture and caused the people to understand the reading. This must surely mean more than supplying definitions.
There is no example in the Bible of preaching that is merely reading a passage and explaining it. Preaching is application. The preacher believes that every passage has purpose today. There is more in Nehemiah chapter three than a record of who repaired what. The preacher I heard so many years ago understood that. He gave an application. He provided us with an action we could attach to the passage.
Thank God for preaching like that.

To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4200 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Nehemiah 3:1 (KJV) Preaching Like That

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment