Friday, November 09, 2018

Isaiah 18:1 (KJV) Whom or What Do You Trust?

Isaiah 18:1 (KJV)
Woe to the land shadowing with wings, which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia:
Barnes says this is the most difficult expression in the chapter to interpret. Gill says various interpretations as to whom this refers range as far north of Jerusalem as Assyria and as far south of Jerusalem as Ethiopia. Some even say it is Jerusalem. To what it refers is suggested as anything from birds, to mountains, to sailboats.
One thing is for sure, this is a curse and not a blessing. I am reminded (and I am not the only one) of Psalms 57:1
Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until thesecalamities be overpast. 
David led God’s people to trust in the shadow of God’s wings. I can’t help but think that the judgment in the passage is for trusting in some other, any other refuge than God.
Perhaps these people trusted in the mountains surrounding them for refuge, safety and provision.
One day the Bible says people will flee to the mountains and beg the rocks to fall upon them.
Perhaps they trusted in idols of their own making.
Men have set up gods of every sort. From carvings they have created to deifying the creation, none of these can stand before God.
Perhaps these wings are indeed sailing vessels, the fastest in the world of their time.
They might have trusted in their technology and military might. But God has demonstrated time and again that no power created by man has any power against Almighty God.
To trust in anyone or anything other than God is foolish and destined for destruction.

To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4400 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Isaiah 18:1 (KJV) Whom or What Do You Trust?

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment