Tuesday, July 27, 2021

2 Kings 5:17-19 (KJV) An Understanding

2 Kings 5:17-19 (KJV)

And Naaman said, Shall there not then, I pray thee, be given to thy servant two mules’ burden of earth? for thy servant will henceforth offer neither burnt offering nor sacrifice unto other gods, but unto the LORD.
In this thing the LORD pardon thy servant, that when my master goeth into the house of Rimmon to worship there, and he leaneth on my hand, and I bow myself in the house of Rimmon: when I bow down myself in the house of Rimmon, the LORD pardon thy servant in this thing.
And he said unto him, Go in peace. So he departed from him a little way.

Naaman had confessed earlier that he knew that there was no God but in Israel.[1] Though there is some disagreement about this passage I see it this way.
The request for the dirt would have been akin to looking toward the Temple in Jerusalem when in prayer. 
Wherever a Jew found himself, he might pray with his face toward the direction of Jerusalem, thus signifying his heart’s desire to be in that holy place. Naaman desired the dirt as a symbol of his faith in the God of Israel.

The request for pardon ought to be viewed for past transgressions


Rather than understanding this as asking for forgiveness for the sins he intended to continue to do, we can, and I believe should view them as a confession of his transgressions prior to his faith. Whether he would be required to enter the house of Rimmon to worship in the future is unknown. It may have never been an actual requirement. It may have been his practice in the past and he may have here turned from that practice.

Elisha offered peace in the name of the Lord
It must be remembered that Elisha was a prophet, not a priest. This could hardly be viewed as supportive of the Catholic practice of confession to the priest. The prophet’s work often involved speaking on behalf of the Lord. (Having received of the Lord that which to speak.) 


[1] 2 Kings 5:15 (KJV)
And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel: now therefore, I pray thee, take a blessing of thy servant.

To my readers:
Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

Donate to Bible Baptist Church every time you make an Amazon purchase through this link, https://smile.amazon.com/ch/91-1265824

For this and, more than 5300 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

2 Kings 5:17-19 (KJV) An Understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment