Saturday, August 10, 2024

2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV) God Allows Thorns


2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV)

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

 

Opinions about Paul’s thorn in the flesh run the gamut. Physically, I suppose it was his eyesight. Whether it was caused when Christ struck him blind on the Damascus Road, I’m not sure. Since it was God who removed the scales from his eyes, it seems questionable that God would restore his eyes imperfectly. On the other hand, Jacob wrestled with the angel of the Lord and, while he prevailed, he was physically disabled for the rest of his life. Our bodies, in their corrupted state, often remind us that this world is not our home. I fear for those who know no other.

 

Paul certainly faced the thorn in the flesh of an embroiled ministry. What a contrast! There is no question that God called, empowered, and used Apostle Paul. But in his lifetime, he was hated by the Jews, doubted by many Christians, and then imprisoned and executed by the Romans.

 


Over the years, I’ve prayed multiple times that God would remove the obstacles from a successful ministry, for people to respect me, for my messages to be well received, for souls to be saved. God has blessed in so many ways that I think of my life as miraculous. But that does not mean it has been easy or carefree. I have lived with heartache, failure, and frustrated goals since the first day I entered the ministry. I keep a long list of the prayers God has answered and the miracles God has done in the lives of my family and me. But, though I do not keep a list of the disappointments and setbacks, it would be equally long.

 

I used to say, and recently told a young pastor, that God seems to allow me to bomb out embarrassingly when preaching from time to time just so I never begin to think I am a good preacher. It’s God in me, or else it’s a waste of breath anyway.

 

Whatever Paul’s thorn in the flesh was, he learned to thank God for it. All glory belongs to God. The thorns in our life serve to remind us of that.

 

#GodsStrengthInWeakness  #ThornInTheFlesh  #FaithThroughTrials  #GodsGloryAlone  #LessonsInHumility  

God Allows Thorns: The Blessing of Burdens

 

Call to Action

  • What is the "thorn" in your life that God may be using to keep you grounded in His grace? —I’d love to hear your story.

  • Reach out to someone who might be struggling and offer them encouragement.

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV) God Allows Thorns

No comments:

Post a Comment