Saturday, September 21, 2024

Exodus 8:9 (KJV) When God’s Timing Matters Most


Exodus 8:9 (KJV)

And Moses said unto Pharaoh, Glory over me: when shall I intreat for thee, and for thy servants, and for thy people, to destroy the frogs from thee and thy houses, that they may remain in the river only?

 

Adam Clarke says, “These words have greatly puzzled commentators in general; and it is not easy to assign their true meaning.” I don’t suppose it will be any easier for me. The definition for the Hebrew word includes gleam, boast, explain, assign, and glory. A paraphrase that might make sense would be, “Enlighten me, when shall I intreat for thee...?”

 

The difficulty comes from our preconceptions concerning the word “glory.” It’s being used in a way we wouldn’t normally, so we have trouble wrapping our heads around it. We tend to associate the word with a deifying nature: “God doesn’t share His glory,” and “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.”[1]

 

Among others, the translators of the King James Version could have used “enlighten”, “explain”, or “assign”. This is one of those places where we are challenged whether they were mistaken. I don’t think so. I believe God led them, if for no other reason than to give us pause to think about the passage.

 


Moses obviously had the upper hand in this situation. It was Pharaoh who asked him to remove the frogs. But Moses, rather than using the opportunity to his advantage, turned the authority back to Pharaoh: “You are over me. Explain to me when you would like me to intreat the Lord to remove the frogs.”

 

God never gives us permission to assume authority over those who have it.[2] We must never use our God-given strengths as a means to go over the heads of those with recognized authority. Trust the Lord. He will work in His own time and then only He will receive glory.

 

#BibleStudy  #ExodusCommentary  #ScriptureExplained  #KJVStudy  #BiblicalAuthority 

When God’s Timing Matters Most: Why Moses Deferred Authority



[1] 1 Corinthians 10:31

[2] Romans 13:1 (KJV)

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.


  • How can you demonstrate greater humility and respect in your daily life?

  • Take a moment this week to reach out to an authority figure—be it a supervisor, a teacher, or even a family member—and express your appreciation for their role.

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

Exodus 8:9 (KJV) When God’s Timing Matters Most


No comments:

Post a Comment