Sunday, August 20, 2006

Draw Nigh


James 4:8 KJV
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Someone told me the other day that nigh is nearer than near. God says "draw nigh." This is an action we can take. There are a dozen things I can't do.

  • I can't change the course of the world
  • I can't change the minds of others
  • I can't make my neighbor love me
But I can draw night to God.

  • I can approach Him
  • I can lean upon Him
  • I can believe His Word and
  • I can give Him worship

And the Bible says when I do that, God will draw night to me. How I need that today!

Perhaps the passage gives us the two keys to drawing night to God:
First, cleanse our hands of sin.
Ask His forgiveness and turn from the sin

Second, purify our double-minded hearts.
JFB says it means, "...divided between God and the world.”
I have to make a clean stand for the Lord and that, against the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment