Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Always Abounding


1 Corinthians 15:58 KJV
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Always abounding in the work of the Lord - Always engaged in doing the will of God; in promoting his glory, and advancing his kingdom. The phrase means not only to be engaged in this, but to be engaged diligently, laboriously; excelling in this. The “work of the Lord” here means that which the Lord requires; all the appropriate duties of Christians. Paul exhorts them to practice every Christian virtue, and to do all that they could do to further the gospel among people.[1]

I take my thought from the idea of abounding in the work of the Lord. My mind immediately goes to that work which would be called full time service, because that is what I do. However, this is not the work that every Christian does and certainly this would not be the work that even most Christians do. So, since this passage is not written strictly to pastors and missionaries, it must refer to something other than that. What then is it that we are to abound in?

On a natural level
Adam was called to subdue the earth and care for it.

We still have the responsibility to use all our faculties to bring to light the glories of God.
We are to be stewards of the earth in such a way that our use of the earth's resources and those sciences God gives us wisdom to know, to honor and glorify the Lord.

On a personal level
I am to grow in grace and in the knowledge of my Lord and Saviour.

I read the Bible, I pray, I attend church services, I even minister to others for the purpose of growing and developing my relationship with Jesus Christ.

On a spiritual level
I should exhibit the fruit of the Spirit as outlined in Galatians 5 and Ephesians 5.

On an ecclesiastical levelI am to participate in the work of the great commission.
Through soul winning and outreach efforts
Through prayer and support of foreign missions
Through ongoing teaching ministries in my church

The fact that Paul said "your labor is not in vain in the Lord" impies that it may on the surface appear to be in vain.
Be stedfast
Be unmovable

Keep at and even increase in the work of the Lord because, even if it may sometimes look like it, it is not in vain in the Lord.


[1] E-Sword 7.7.7, Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible, Albert Barnes (1798-1870)

No comments:

Post a Comment