Sunday, April 15, 2007

Building to the Crescendo of Christ


Isaiah 51:5 KJV
My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.

One cannot help but sense the anticipation of the chapter preceding chapter 53 concerning Jesus Christ. The righteousness that is near and the salvation that is gone forth are speaking of Jesus Christ. Gill says, "These are either the words of God the Father, and to be understood not of his essential righteousness, nor of his vindictive justice; but of the righteousness of his Son, which he calls his own..."[1]

There is a crescendo building. I can feel the vibrations of the heavenly music through the verses as everything builds in these chapters leading to the climax of the prophecy of the Messiah and His sacrifice for the sins of mankind.

Who exactly are the isles is uncertain to me. One commentator pointed to Tarshish. Surely it speaks of Gentiles and perhaps it is prophetic of the British Isles and those nations that have sprung up from them. In that case and I realize there is some stretch here, this passage could indirectly point to people just like me who wait upon the Lord and trust in His arm.


[1] E-Sword 7.7.7, John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible, Dr. John Gill (1690-1771)

No comments:

Post a Comment