Monday, April 16, 2007

A Small Moment


Isaiah 54:7 KJV
For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.

This passage, I suppose, finds its primary fulfillment in Israel's captivity to Babylon and eventual return seventy years later. It was only a "small moment" so far as the ages go. The secondary application would be during this church age, when God has set aside His work with Israel to call out for Himself a people out of every nation. Though this church age has lasted now two thousand years, yet it will seem as only a small moment when Jesus returns and establishes Israel as the great nation of the earth.

But there is also an application for me. In those times when it seems as if God has hidden His face from me (as it is described in verse 8) I can find rest and peace in knowing that it will only be for a small moment. Experience as a believer for these 30 years has taught me that times of darkness and trial, when it seems as if the Lord has forsaken me, never last that long. As I continue to seek Him He opens some shimmer of light that finally springs into full day. Over and over there have been those times when it seemed like I would not be able to go on. But they have always been followed by times of great blessing and joy.

And then I am reminded that our Lord's promise is "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee."[1] While I might feel forsaken, I am never really forsaken of the Lord.


[1] Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment