Friday, March 21, 2008

The KING's Heart

Proverbs 21:1 KJV
The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

I have always assumed this passage to be a reference to the kings and magistrates of this world. And I do not think that is a wrong interpretation. It is perhaps even the primary interpretation. John Gill comments,
"The heart of every king, and all that is in it, his thoughts, counsels, purposes, and designs; the hearts of bad kings, as Pharaoh, whom the Lord hardened and softened at pleasure; the antichristian kings, into whose hearts he put it to give their kingdoms to the beast, Rev_17:17; the hearts of good kings, as David, Solomon, Cyrus, and others: and if the hearts of kings are in the hands of the Lord, which are full of things of the greatest importance with respect to the government of the world; and which are generally more untractable and unmanageable; and who are more resolute and positive, and will have their own wills and ways, especially arbitrary princes; then much more the hearts of other persons. ..."

However, it occurred to me that if this is true of the kings of this world how much truer it would be of the King of kings. The Bible says of Jesus Christ
Heb 10:7
Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. (KJV)
Jesus always does the will of His Father. Truly the Father turns His heart "as rivers of water"

I got to thinking about it: often I have claimed this passage and asked the Lord to change the heart of public officials. It may have been in the case of a person I was ministering to who needed grace with the courts or it might have been in the case of our church needed grace in our building permits, etc. In some cases, the officials have been gracious, and in other cases, they were not. Sometimes God chose to turn their hearts and other times He did not.

But the One whose heart I sincerely need to be gracious toward me is that of the King of kings, and the Word of God assures me God His heart has been turned to my favor.

His heart was turned from heaven to earth when He took upon Himself the flesh of man
His heart was turned toward our grace when while we were yet sinners Christ died for us
His heart was turned toward us once again when, seated in heavenly places the Word of God says He ever liveth to make intercession for us and
His heart will turn again toward us when He comes in the clouds to call us to glory


Let the kings of this world do as they may (I know the Lord still moves in their hearts too) I have a KING whose heart has been turned toward me.

No comments:

Post a Comment