Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hide Pride

Job 33:16-17 KJV
Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.


I cannot say that Elihu is in error in this case, only that he is in error concerning Job's circumstances. While much of what Job's friends said was true, it was not true in Job's particular case. Satan had moved God against Job without cause. It is very easy to make blanket judgments that, though true in general, have devastating consequences when used without discernment. Such is the case of Job's friends.

Still, there is truth to be learned and a warning to be heeded in Elihu's words. God does reach out to open our ears and give us instruction concerning the consequences of a life lived in rebellion against the Lord.

God seeks to withdraw man from his purpose
Which purpose would be a life lived outside of God's will. Adam and Eve did learn something from their sin; they learned how to live without God. And they passed it on to their children very effectively. God wants to turn us from the purpose of a life lived without God. He wants to withdraw us from the darkness and bring us into the light of His guidance.

And hide pride from man
Lord let it be that You would so work in my life that I have nothing to be proud of. Lord, make me humble. Lord, allow me only to see a purpose in You and allow me to only see glory in Christ. You have opened my eyes; help me now to hear. You have given sound instruction. Teach me to learn that I would look for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of that great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment