Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Our Response to the Proud

Psalms 119:51 KJV
The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.

Psalms 119:69 KJV
The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.

Psalms 119:78 KJV
Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.

The Psalmist identifies his "enemies" as "the proud." These are those who have blinded eyes to Gods truth. These are they that lift themselves up above the Lord. These are they that refuse the reproofs of the Word of God for they view themselves as above them. Anyone who attempts to submit their lives to the Lord and His Word will find that the proud are against them.

The Psalmist says the proud have
Had him greatly in derision
Forged a lie against him and
Dealt perversely with him without a cause


But in every case the Psalmist's response was exactly the same. He leaned upon the Word of God. This is exactly what the Lord did when tempted by the devil. Even when Satan used the Word of God as his tool, and the proud can often use the Bible as their weapon, Jesus continued to lean upon the Word of God. A twisted use of God's Word does not negate the validity of the Word of God. It is valid and useful to debate the Word of God with the Word of God.

He did not decline
He determined to keep and
I determined to meditate upon

The Word of God despite the attacks of the proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment