Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why Keep Under My Body?

1 Corinthians 9:27 KJV
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Since it is so easy to take verses such as this apart from their context, they, being so rich in and of themselves, this morning I chose to try to plug the text of verses 24-27 into the context.

In the early verses of the chapter, Paul asserts his authority as an apostle and insists upon his rights as one.

Paul could have kept a wife and family and said that other apostles did so
Paul could have forbear working a "secular" job
Paul could have expected the people under his ministry in Corinth to provide for his material needs


But he chose not to accept those things that were naturally and reasonably his; choosing rather to sacrifice them for the good of the Gospel.

Paul kept under his body and brought it under subjection
Paul rejected his rightful privileges of wife, leisure and remuneration

Because he saw something of greater value.
Paul strove for an incorruptible crown.

When we, in turn, learn to view the things of heaven as the prize, we will more easily abandon any affection for the trinkets of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment