Friday, October 03, 2008

Perfecting Holiness

2 Corinthians 7:1 KJV
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

I notice first
That holiness may be "perfected."
That means sort of like polished. We have it but it is not finalized. It is not a finished product yet. Our walk with the Lord, our testimony for Christ our service in Christ are all things that may be
Refined and
Polished and
Tweaked and
Adjusted and
Trimmed and
Developed
Until the day we are in the presence of the Lord.
I am not perfect and that is all right. But I am able to go on perfecting holiness in my life.

I notice secondly
That there is personal responsibility in this.He says "let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit." I must not sit idle on this matter. I have personal responsibility to cleanse myself of this filthiness. I cannot use the excuse that God has not helped me therefore it is His fault.
This is my business.
This is my work.
This is my responsibility

I notice thirdly
That I have some promises designed to motivate and aide me.
These promises spring from 2 Corinthians 6:16-18 KJV
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Gill says, "That God will walk in his temple, and dwell in his churches, be their God, and they his people, that he will receive them, and be their Father, and they his sons and daughters; which promises they had not in hope, as Old Testament saints had the promises of the Messiah and his kingdom, and as New Testament saints have of the resurrection, the new heavens and new earth, and of appearing with Christ in glory; but in hand, in actual possession; for God was really become their God and Father, and they were his people and children..."

1 comment:

  1. I especially agree with your promises. I have some reasons to back up.

    "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"

    This is because what motivates me is that Jesus wants us to be holy. So what I like to say to myself is that everyone is focused on maybe what makes them special. Or better said, how they perceive to be beautiful or attractive, but I try to say to myself "why do you think that, and who lied to you to think that way, isn't that how everyone thinks?"

    Basically when we think that way we are among them. We are doing nothing original.

    ReplyDelete