Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Work at Rest

Hebrews 4:11 KJV
Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

This passage always causes me to pause. We are to labor to rest. We are to work at resting. The rest and peace and comfort of God does not come through laziness and by accident. It is something we must choose and pursue. In that light I see three tools to move me toward rest:

The Word of God
vs 12
If I am to have rest I must be in the Word of God. And I must be in it consistently enough that it can do its work. I must not look at a few of my favorite verses and call that good enough. I must be in the Word of God, cover to cover, regularly.

A dogged persistence
vs 13
I have learned that when I begin to lose that rest of God, the last thing I want to do is hold on. I want to quit what I do that is right. I want to go to sleep and stay there. God's Word says what I need to do instead is to hold fast.
Hold fast my Bible reading
Hold fast in prayer
Hold fast my church attendance
Hold fast my service to the Lord

Don't lose hope and don't let go. Keep on and God will give us the victory

The throne of grace
vs 16
If I am to have rest in my life I must find it at the throne of Grace. I must live at that throne and only make forays into the world to win souls and give witness of Jesus Christ. If I am to have rest I must obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment