Wednesday, April 08, 2009

25th Anniversary

This is insignificant to most I know, but a milestone in my life. 25 years ago today I preached my first sermon as a pastor of a New Testament Baptist Church. I can see it as if it were yesterday. Anita and I arrived into Astoria in the afternoon of April 7th. We rented a room at the City Center Motel and went to have a small bite to eat at the brand new McDonald's just a block or so from the room. While there we met Rod Karen and Jennifer Hockley, soon to be some of the most important people in our lives! Even today we consider them family. The Hockleys Rowlands, Sculls and us met with the Pasco family on their rented property on the Peter Johnson Turn Off Rd. It was on that property we would conduct the first service of the new church about to form.
April 8th was a beautiful spring day. The sun shone, but their was a mist of rain at the same time. On the way from the motel to the Pasco's home that morning, we stopped at Hauke's Market at Smith Point and bought some coffee for the Pasco's. I stayed in the car as Anita ran into the store. The view over the Young's Bay and into the mouth of the Columbia River was breathtaking. What a blessing that God had called us to live there! The 13 years we ministered in Astoria are, to this day, some of the most rewarding of my life. It was not an easy task by any means.
We went hungry often the first couple of years.
We were depressed from time to time at the slow progress of the church

But our kids were born there.
Anita and I developed our relationship as husband and wife there. and
God blessed us more than we could ever possibly describe there.

No comments:

Post a Comment