Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Seeking a Right Way

Ezra 8:21 KJV
Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.

Today is the first of our "proclaimed" days of fasting and prayer this year. Ezra proclaimed a fast in his day too.

He said he did it because he was ashamed to ask for protection from the king so they fasted and prayed to seek of God a right way for themselves, their children and their belongings. I know they meant a plan of travel, a safe passage from Babylon to Israel; but my how we need to receive of the Lord that same right way as we travel through this troubled land of life.
The way must first be a right way from God.
It is not just the way that suits me, not even the safest way. It is the way that is of God.

It is a way I must go.
The right way is an ineffective way unless it is the way I take. Before I can lead others into it, before I could possibly make a difference in any other person's way, I must be on the right way myself.

I need to bring my children on this right way.
The way is not merely personal. If I am to follow the Lord I need to do what I can to bring my family along in the same way.

The way is not merely right for my spirit and heart, but the way I must bring along my substance.
That which I possess I possess because God has provided. It must never be looked upon as secular and unrelated to the godly life. It belongs to the Lord. It must be taken the way God deems as right.

No comments:

Post a Comment