Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jonathelemrechokim


Psalms 56:1 KJV
To the chief Musician upon Jonathelemrechokim, Michtam of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath. Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.

Reading the title of this Psalm struck me as this word is new to me; I do not know that I have seen it before. (I know it was there, but I never paid attention to it until this morning.) The word describes a dove who is far from home and does not complain. It is an apt description of David when he goes to Gath and dwells with the Philistines because Saul is set on killing him.

This would not have been an easy time for him. The pressures of living among an enemy people yet loving God's people would have been challenging to say the least. But the Psalm, rather than being one of complaint, is a Psalm of praise. Indeed some have suggested that the title must be wrong because the tenor of the Psalm is not consistent with such depressing circumstances. The suggestion is unfounded, however, and the Bible gives us a wonderful lesson; when circumstances are the worst, we are best served by praising God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment