Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Job 16:22 (KJV) What Awaits You?

Job 16:22 (KJV)
When a few years are come, then I shall go the way whence I shall not return.
I take it that Job was not old for his day. Eliphaz claimed they had men with them who were many years senior to Job’s father. He is not a kid as his children, who had died, were adults. But he is far from reaching that age where death is imminent.
I see myself in about that spot. At almost 58 years old, I am by no means a kid but neither must I think of my life as nearing the end. Of course anything can happen but statistically I have many years ahead of me. Maybe a better example would be someone in their “forty-somethings”. Many women and most men could still bear children in their early forties, yet they could also have kids who are young adults and their parents could easily still be alive.
And yet Job called the remaining years of his life, “but a few years“.
I realize that Job was probably speaking from a depressed perspective, but he is also speaking as an example of us all. The wise person, regardless of age, sees the remaining years of his life as “but a few”. He isn’t necessarily depressed or melancholy about it, but he is aware of it.
The one over riding truth of every man is that he will one day die. When that day comes, no matter how long he has lived, he will certainly believe they passed too quickly. The important thing then is not just to make sure that his few years count. The most important thing is to make sure he is prepared for what awaits the other side of the grave.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

For this and more than 3000 earlier Daily Visits with God visit Marvin McKenzie’s blogger page. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Job 16:22 (KJV) What Awaits You?

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment