Thursday, March 22, 2018

2 Kings 3:7 (KJV) If Something Is Of The Lord

2 Kings 3:7 (KJV)
And he went and sent to Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, saying, The king of Moab hath rebelled against me: wilt thou go with me against Moab to battle? And he said, I will go up: I am as thou art, my people as thy people, and my horses as thy horses.
None of the commentaries I possess make any mention of this play on words, “he went and sent.” It’s likely because the play exists only in the English language. The commentaries all purposely attempt something deeper through the studies of the original languages. Nevertheless, the translators deemed this to be the most accurate manner in which to render this phrase. I cannot help but think it must have occurred to them that someone would catch the poetry. It has value if, for no other reason, to cause us to pause a moment.
This is an active phrase.
He went
It means, “to walk” and by extension, to:
  • Travel, 
  • Go forward, 
  • Exercise, 
  • Grow 
This is motion, action, progress.
He sent
This means, “ to send away” as in to send away for. It can also mean “to cast away.”
The king actively sent for Jehoshaphat. This was no casual request. This wasn’t wishfully hoping the king of Judah would take up his side. He pursued an alliance.
I might not use the king of Israel as an example except that he was successful in the purpose of his alliance with Judah and because, in this case, he insisted that he hear from the living God and not one of the idols.
If something is of the Lord, if He is leading us in doing it, we ought to do more than wish we could be successful. We ought to actively engage in making it a success.

To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4100 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

2 Kings 3:7 (KJV) If Something Is Of The Lord

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment