Thursday, December 27, 2018

Revelation 21:9 (KJV) The Lamb’s Wife

Revelation 21:9 (KJV)
And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.
I freely admit there is are challenges to my understanding of this passage, but no more than some of the other ways I have heard it understood. I know preachers who have said things such as, “I am not a ‘Baptist Brider’ because of this passage. I cannot explain how the church and the New Jerusalem are both the bride of Christ.” Other preachers have said this passage proves that there is no such thing as the church, Baptist or otherwise, being the bride of Christ.
I am not a fan of the Baptist Bride label because it has so many different connotations that it does not accurately identify anybody. But this passage is not, in my opinion, an argument against it. 
It occurs to me that a leap must be made to claim the New Jerusalem is the Bride. The angel told John he would show him the Lamb’s wife and I confess that what is described is the city. But I contend that this does not insist the city is the bride. We know from so many other passages that the bride is the church that to leap now to its being a city is too much of a stretch for me to accept. The bride is, in my opinion, who she has always been. The city is where she dwells perhaps. John’s vision became all about the city for sure. But that the bride and the city are the same is, in my mind, not so certain. 
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4400 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

Revelation 21:9 (KJV) The Lamb’s Wife

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment