Friday, January 26, 2024

Matthew 26:44 (KJV) Through Prayer with Jesus


Matthew 26:44 (KJV)

And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

 

What lessons we learn from Jesus about prayer!

·       He prayed before He called the twelve

·       He prayed all night

·       He prayed sometimes publicly

·       He prayed oftentimes alone

·       He had regular places of prayer

 

In what is arguably the most stressful moment of His earthly life:

He asked others to prayer with Him

They did not kneel beside Christ and listen to Him pray. He asked them to pray alone while He prayed alone. He even urged them to pray. But when they failed, it was all right. The effectiveness of our prayers is not diminished if others do not join us in prayer. Generally, I think, we would be disappointed in the urgency of others’ prayers when we are in our most urgent need for their urgent prayer. Our disappointment is unfounded because our own effectual fervent prayer “availeth much.”[1]

 

He prayed the same words

I think it matters that the Bible says, “saying the same words.” I don’t think this means vain repetition, but it does mean that those things that matter the most may be brought to the Lord many times.

He prayed these same words three times

I am reminded that Paul brought an earnest petition to the Lord three times and was then told to “move on.”[2] Does that mean we may only bring a petition before the Lord three times? I don’t think so. Elijah besought the Lord for rain I think seven times.[3]

·       Three is the number of the Trinity.

·       Seven is the number of completion.[4]

It seems to me we pray “the same words” until we are given our request, or God tells us to move on. Jesus went on in the strength of His prayer through the betrayal, the capture, the trials, and the cross.

 

After having prayed, let us accept the will of God and glorify Him, regardless of the outcome. 


#PrayerLessonsFromJesus #PrayingInStressfulMoments #UrgencyInPrayer #PersistenceInPetition #AcceptingGodsWill

Through Prayer with Jesus: The Power of Prayer


To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6200 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

Matthew 26:44 (KJV) Through Prayer with Jesus


[1] James 5:16 (KJV)

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

[2] 2 Corinthians 12:8-9 (KJV)

For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

[3] 1 Kings 18:42-44 (KJV)

So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees,

And said to his servant, Go up now, look toward the sea. And he went up, and looked, and said, There is nothing. And he said, Go again seven times.

And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare thy chariot, and get thee down, that the rain stop thee not.

[4] I put very little stock in numerology but there are certain numbers that have an obvious significance in the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment