Friday, June 28, 2024

1 Corinthians 4:11 (KJV) Sacrificial Service

1 Corinthians 4:11 (KJV)

Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;

 

Paul had written in verse 6, “And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us …” 

 

Every servant of Christ I know: 

·       Missionary

·       Evangelist

·       Pastor

would claim Paul as the example for their ministry. 

·       Soul winning, 

·       Church planting, 

·       Preaching, 

·       Itinerant ministry, 

·       Raising support, 

·       Faith Promise giving, even 

·       Fund raising for special causes 

find their justification in the example of Apostle Paul. 

 

But wait!

 

How willing are we to follow Paul in this example? 

1 Corinthians 4:10-12

We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;

And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:

 


What is our general perception of those who do?

 

I am not advocating making choices that unnecessarily create these conditions.[1] But I do think it would be charitable to be much more understanding of those who embrace the ministry in the face of such challenges. 

 

#FaithfulMinistry #ApostolicExample #ServantsOfChrist #GospelDedication #SacrificialService

Sacrificial Service: The Cost of Ministry Commitment



[1] I find it interesting that the very day I read this passage, meditated on these things, and wrote this devotional, I met a couple I’m sure would place themselves in this camp. They had no money, lived out of a broken-down camper without a working water system, could not afford a camp site with water and bathroom facilities and, after visiting with me, handed me a handwritten gospel message on a 3x4 card. I don’t know their story or doctrinal affiliation, but I can see them following Paul in this text in every way except “labour, working with our own hands.” There’s nothing wrong with working!


Call to Action

  • How can we better support and encourage those who endure hardships for the sake of their ministry today?

  • Be sure to participate in your church's Faith Promise and other giving ministries.

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

1 Corinthians 4:11 (KJV) Sacrificial Service

No comments:

Post a Comment