Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Colossians 3:9 (KJV) The High Calling


Colossians 3:9 (KJV)

Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

 

In the body of my flesh, there are a few things the Bible teaches that I wish it didn’t. 

 

·  I wish, for instance, the Bible taught that when a person puts off the old man and his deeds, it would be impossible for him to lie.  

·   I wish the Bible taught that the things listed in verse 5 were supernaturally mortified: “fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.”  

·   I wish the Bible taught that the things listed in verse 8 were put off automatically at the moment of salvation: “anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.”  

 

Conversely, I wish the Bible taught that, at the moment of salvation, when we have put on the new man, we would have also put on the things listed in verses 12-14: “bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering, forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, charity.”  

 


But that is not what the Bible teaches.  

 

The Bible teaches that when we put off the old man and put on the new man, we have only begun the work of undressing and dressing.  

·       We haven’t attained.  

·       We are not perfected.  

·       We still have a long way to go.  


Philippians 3:12-14 (KJV)  

Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.  

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."  

 

We take a lot of heat in this world—some of it of our own doing and some of it because of the misperceptions of others—because we’re so far from the mark. 

 

But this is no reason to get discouraged or quit.  

 

It just means we must keep pressing forward.

 

#SanctificationJourney  #PutOffTheOldMan  #PressTowardTheMark  #TransformationInChrist  #KeepPressingForward  

The High Calling: Three Steps to Spiritual Growth  


  • Are there specific old habits you're working to overcome?
  • How might you actively seek support from others in your growth?

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

Colossians 3:9 (KJV) The High Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment