Monday, September 02, 2024

Genesis 47:29 (KJV) Bury Me Not in Egypt


Genesis 47:29 (KJV)

And the time drew nigh that Israel must die: and he called his son Joseph, and said unto him, If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me; bury me not, I pray thee, in Egypt: 

 

Bury me not in Egypt.”

 

Jacob was born in the Promised Land and lived much of his life there.

 

- He lived in Haran for twenty years.  

- He lived in Egypt for seventeen years.  

- He died at the age of one hundred forty-seven,  

making it one hundred ten years in the Promised Land.

 

Jacob knew he was about to die and begged Joseph that, though he would die in Egypt, he would not be buried there. The Promised Land, he said, was the burial place of his fathers, Abraham and Isaac. It was also where his mother, grandmother, and his wife (Rachel, certainly) were buried.

 

But why would that matter? Once he was dead, why would it matter?

 


I have a preacher friend who claims that funerals are not for the dead but for the living. I understand what he means, but I doubt those about to die would agree with him. It matters because we all inherently understand that this is not the end. How and where we are buried is, to us, a testimony of where we expect to be eternally. For Jacob, that was represented in the Promised Land—the promise of God.

 

I know not what my end will be, where, or when I will die. My family's heritage is scattered across the state of Washington. Adding to that, my wife’s heritage is scattered across Oregon, making it hard for us to pick a preferred place. In my case, it probably doesn’t matter too much where I am buried. I’d like it to be next to my wife. But more important to me is that I finish my course, resting in the promises of God.

 

#BuryMeNotInEgypt  #RestInGodsPromises  #PromisedLandFaith  #JacobAndJoseph  #EternalTestimony

Bury Me Not in Egypt: Four Biblical Truths About Resting in God’s Promises



Call to Action

  • Are you confident that your convictions reflect your faith in God’s promises? 
  • Share your concerns with loved ones and discuss ways to make choices that affirm your trust in God's promises.

👉 Join our community in studying God’s Word and strengthening your faith.

To my readers:

Thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.

For this and, more than 6400 earlier Daily Visits with God, visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2005.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.

For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.

My books, and other resources, are available at:
https://marvinmckenzie.org

Join me at Daily Visits with God Podcast
https://marvinmckenzie.substack.com/

Merch at my Teespring store https://macz.creator-spring.com/
Be a witness with hats, mugs, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and more

Let’s have coffee?
The link to Ko-fi  is an opportunity to support this effort to reach a world of souls with the Word of God. I would appreciate any gift you can give. 

Genesis 47:29 (KJV) Bury Me Not in Egypt

 

No comments:

Post a Comment